Saturday 28 June 2014

A crazy inspiration

The view was fantabulous. We were on a broken road, on the edge of a mountain. Down below a thin dry river was flowing and we were moving along with it. The sky was perfect blue, with small white feathered clouds sprinkled all over it. It was a bright sunny morning and the sun was shining at its best but the surroundings were neutralising its effect. In fact we were feeling a bit cold even in that situation. Thanks to Siddhu's research, we were carrying a high SPF sunscreen lotion which we needed to apply every 2-3 hours. A rider is supposed to act tough and feel tough and that was my first doubt on buying a sunscreen, but as usual, I was wrong. Its a must to have a sunscreen lotion with you. The surroundings and the chilled breeze won't make you feel warm and hot but the sun rays won't reduce its effect. There was a high chance for getting a sunburn on the exposed skin, which was usually the face. Dhyani was in charge of the bike now and I was holding the camera on the rear seat. I tried to take as many pictures as I can but was still missing something or the other. The view was like no matter how much time you spend there, just looking in one particular direction, or one particular way, you won't get enough. The mountains were spread as far as you can see, kissing the perfect blue sky, and these mountains were not the regular mountains that we used to see in Dehradoon or the ones we saw in Manali.


These were the perfect desert mountains, with dry rocks, and gravels. At one side, I saw a mountain, far away, and while I was capturing it into the camera, I saw some movement in it. I removed the camera and saw it with my naked eyes. At first I thought was hellucinating but then I realised, without any specific reason, there was a landslide occurring on it. What a beautiful scene it was which was not meant to be captured in the camera. I told Dhyani to stop the bike and look at the view but by the time he removed his helmet and shades, it was over. Maybe I was the lucky one, but as soon as it was over, it occurred to me, what if this happens on the mountain next to me. Phew, that freaked me out for a moment. To be precise, it was the perfect example of a "deadly beauty".

As we were moving forward, and I was capturing pictures suddenly I saw something on the road ahead of us. It was unbelievable to see a guy, on that height of the mountain riding a cycle. As we overtook, I looked back and saw a 50+ year old foreigner with long beard. He was a below average looking thin guy, and he seemed really exhausted. Well, who wouldn't be. He must have started from Manali, and that too in a cycle with a small bag carrying on his back. My condition was miserable last night when I was travelling on a bike. What a hell of a guy he would have been. Marvellous, simply marvellous. He was continuously paddling on the first gear and was moving very slowly over the mountain. As soon as I saw him, instead of taking his photograph, I smiled at him and showed him a thumbs up. His expression totally changed and he smiled back and replied with a thumbs up. Wow, what a crazy fellow he must be, covering the worlds toughest motorable road on a mere bicycle. Even Dhyani was awed by looking at him. Moving further, we saw some more cycle riders on our way. Some taking pictures of the surrounding nature, some taking rest and some struggling their way up the mountain. What an inspiration it was to look at them. Many people will call them crazy, many will call them fools, but they were nothing but Heros, following their dreams. We learned a lot from these strangers, and I was sure there was more to come and in return we were giving them a thumbs up and a smile, just to motivate them, which might help them the same way as it helped us.



No comments:

Post a Comment